Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dinner in 15 minutes?! Vegetarian Taco Salad!

OK, so if I go to the gym after work I don't get home until late and by that point I am ready to eat ANYTHING.  But if I did that the whole hour at the gym would be wasted.  Now that I'm cooking I tend to have some random ingredients around from various recipes and I am starting to learn what goes together.  Today I knew I needed to get some protein and veggies in my system so I created this vegetarian taco salad:

Me Gusta Ensalada de Taco

INGREDIENTS
1 can black beans
1 tablespoon of cajun spices*
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
A few good shakes of hot sauce
2 stalks/stems (whatever they are) green onions, chopped
1 sliced roasted red pepper
Romaine lettuce
If desired:
Ranch dressing
Shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, jack...)
5 or so tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS
Put the beans in a saucepan, juice and all--crank the stove to a 6 (medium to medium-high heat).  Add green onions and cajun spices, cover.  Take the Romaine lettuce heart/stalk/whatever it is, wash and chop then set aside.  Add the roasted red pepper slices, red pepper flakes and hot sauce to the beans then re-cover.  Eventually the bean mixture should begin to simmer (that doesn't sound very professional but it's true and hey, I'm not a professional).  Let this simmer a minute or so and with a slotted spoon dish out the goodness on top of the lettuce leaving the liquid behind.  Add a drizzle of Ranch dressing or a good grab of shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips.



*Cajun Seasoning with Green Onions by Cajun Land is something I picked up in New Orleans when I was there for work last year. You can order using the link above but here's what is listed in the ingredients list; I have to think you could mimic at home:
-salt
-spices
-onion
-garlic
-red pepper
-green onion

No comments:

Post a Comment